Skip to main content

(film review) - Edge of Tomorrow

First and foremost, before I get into anything. Whether or not you like Tom Cruise, if you put him aside or don't even factor him in as the star, then you should love this film. I say this because I know some people who don't like him too much and I think he is cool. Maybe I am somewhat a fan and possibly, slightly bias but his films haven't all been poor to me.
I've said before that, whenever he does a film, I do not see him as the character, only Tom Cruise in a different role, but with that said, even if it is just another Tom Cruise movie, this one is good.
I'd also like to say that the marketing for this film is very poor. It is very confusing and as it seems like it is a futuristic film like Oblivion, some people actually thought this film was a sequel to that movie. No, it isn't, but I totally understand why you would think that. And I will tell you this for free. Although I liked Oblivion, it had a cool concept and the landscapes and scenery and special effects were all great, THIS film knocks that film out of the park. Let's get involved.

Major William Cage (Tom Cruise) is a member of the NATO-led United Defence Force who is summoned to London to have a meeting with General Bringham (Brendan Gleeson). When the General orders cage to cover combat for the war, things take a unexpected wrong turn in the meeting for Cage who is subsequently knocked out and wakes up at an Army Base. Not knowing where he is, disorientated and completely unaware of what is happening, Cage is enlisted by Master Sergeant Farrell (Bill Paxton) to join a bunch of reject soldiers called 'J Squad'. As the squad is used in the first wave of the attack on the beach the following day, Cage witnesses everyone dying and when he dies, he wakes up the day before the beach assault back where he started with Master Sergeant Farrell. When this happens a few times, Cage eventually saves Sergeant Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt) a highly decorated war hero who he explains his situation to. From this point, Cage and Vrataski embark on a quest to win the war which will involve a lot of dying and dying and dying and dying and dying.

We need to give credit where credit is due. The story is excellent. The premise is really cool but risky. However, Doug Liman did a very very very good job in directing this film adaption of a book of a slightly cooler name "All You Need Is Kill" and was able to pull this off without the film coming across long-winded, Repetitive and boring. Considering the main character has to Live, Die & Repeat, not once did I feel like I was watching something again I had already seen and the scene felt over used. I didn't feel like any scenes were unnecessary, tiresome or tedious. The editing was done in such a way, every scene, no matter how often you saw it, felt fresh.

Tom Cruise is a great actor. Sometimes it is the films he is in that don't do him any favours. Yes they are enjoyable, but some fall short in areas. This film on the other hand, the direction, the pace and the dialogue fit soo well. The acting was great and I could sympathise with Cruise's character's struggle as the film went on. The chemistry between him and Blunt was greatly handled. I always find Tom always "in bed" with the other female star. Always has to get the girl or save the girl. Although this is slightly the case in this film, you can only imagine, having to relive the same moment over and over again with a fit female, you would start to develop feelings. With that said, for me, this brought on a lot of the comedy elements to the film where, the trial and error moments, I found hilarious in places.

Another excellent film to add to my 2014's top 10 films of the year.

I suggest you watch it. There is absolutely no reason to feel disappointed.



Comments

Popular Posts of the Last 7 Days

(trailer review) - Alien: Romulus

(trailer review) - The Fall Guy

Popular Posts of Last Year

(trailer review) - Secret Invasion

(trailer review) - Loki: Season 2

(trailer review) - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3