Skip to main content

(film review) - The Martian

What have you done for me lately, Ridley? Some of us have these thoughts when we think of Ridley Scott. The guy who brought us some great and classic films such as Alien, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and American Gangster. So what was your last few films Exodus: Gods and Kings? The Counselor? Prometheus? Although I didn’t think Prometheus was that bad, but it wasn't a classic nor great. So, again. What have you done for me lately, Ridley?Ridley has done, nothing! And people are starting to think that this great director has simply run out of juice. Well, fear not, because The Martian might be his return.

The Martian is about a man named Mark Watney (Matt Damon) who with his team are out on a mission on Mars, but becomes stranded by himself when his team leaves him behind. Being the only human on Mars, Mark the Martian must figure out a way to survive and also return back to earth or die on Mars.

The premise is pretty simple and with that said, makes you wonder, ‘Is there anything else to this film?’, ‘This film is going to be pretty boring, right?’, ‘Can Matt Damon carry an entire film by himself?’, ‘He is no, Will Smith!’. Well, rightfully implied in the trailers, Matt isn’t by himself as there is a team trying to figure out a way to get him back to earth. Also, although this film is 141 mins (just over 2 hours and 20 minutes) long, this film does not feel long at all. The film gets straight into it at such a steady pace, you do not once think about the time. There is suspense, there is unexpected comedy elements and there is a lot of character in this film. Very clever script writing, directing and screenplay. At the end of the film, I actually wanted to clap for Ridley Scott. Like, literally stand up and cheer for him as the film I had just watched was soo entertaining, I felt it was necessary. I didn’t, but I did think it.

Although this film didn’t leave me gripping the seats whilst sitting on the edge of it like Gravity did, this film reminds me of Cast Away (not that I have seen it) fused with Gravity. I think what made me love the film more than the visuals and the story was Mark and his character as well as the supporting cast. Jessica Chastain, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Sean Bean, Jeff Daniels, Michael Pena. The casting was brilliant as every character brought something to their role, or at least, every character had a pivotal part to play. I do feel that Sebastian Stan was a little under used, but that is probably due to the great performance he did as The Winter Soldier (Great film by the way). I felt very relatable to Mark and I actually felt like I was going through this situation with him. The film was very grounded, although set in space. I felt like he was the every guy voicing the things an every guy would do in his predicament. All the trials and tribulations, I was experiencing these with him.

It is out on the 30th, so go and watch it. If you don’t like it, honestly, there is definitely something wrong with you (although I know movies are subjective). A brilliantly Directed film by Ridley Scott. Well done, Sir.





Comments

Popular Posts of the Last 7 Days

(trailer review) - Alien: Romulus

(trailer review) - The Fall Guy

Popular Posts of Last Year

(trailer review) - Secret Invasion

(trailer review) - Loki: Season 2

(trailer review) - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3